Kale and Turnip Soup (great for all phases)
- 1 lb reduced fat, turkey sausage
- 1 lb kale, stems removed, leaves shredded
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (PHASE 4 ONLY) OR 1 Leek, chooped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 pinch dried red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
In a large pot, cook sausage over low heat. Turn and cook until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from pot and let cool. Cut sausage into slices. Remove fat from pot.
Add oil to pot, add onion (phase 4 only) or leeks and cook on medium until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Add broth bell peppers, and black pepper, bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Add sausage, turnip, red pepper flakes and bring back to a simmer. Cook covered for about 4 minutes. Add kale and bring back to a simmer. Cook partially covered until the turnip and kale are cooked. Adjust salt if needed.